Sunnyside School Information
The historic “Sunnyside School Building”, located in Sarcoxie Township just
south of the 13th and Republic road junction, has become a township community
center since its school closure in 1954. The grand old country school building
was one of the first one-room school buildings in Kansas dating back to 1866.
Sunnyside School was the education center for area children, first through
eighth grade, and still presents reminders of those past times with chalk
boards, teacher’s desks, student desks and chairs, and the old out-door privies.
The building was purchased by the SVEHUC from the McLouth School District in
1979, and has been available for community activities, club meetings, and the
voting site for Sarcoxie residents. EHUC members and other area volunteers
maintain the building. Rules for the Sunnyside Building disallow smoking,
alcoholic beverages, or illegal substances, and groups or individuals must
obtain prior approval for facility use, and are responsible for damage control
and cleanup. Citizens interested in volunteer assistance or in scheduling
activities should contact current EHUC president Marilyn Sharkey for more